Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Moving Too Slowly

Every day I sit at this computer and everyday I vow to update this blog. The dread of the slow dial-up connection and waiting literally hours for photos to upload turns me off and I move on to something else. Well, today I am going on my second hour of Internet browsing and viewing my favorite blogs. I even made the sinful mistake of purchasing four new doll clothes patterns from eBay. Since I survived the first night back at the gym after our break (23 May-8 June) I felt a need to "reward" myself. I suppose it is better then eating chocolate as a reward, but a bit more expensive. I managed to finish some more little projects in the crafty/household category during the break. I even walked with Bud 2 miles every day and feel a bit more fit (if not trim). I also managed to secure my job back with the Level 5 group.

At Home With Jane Austen By Tanja Marie Anderson

Pictured with my own little version of Jane.

Barbara Ana Design Make A Wish and the perfect cording I found to go with it.

Crochet mesh bag. A variation of a pattern from Sugar n' Cream

As usual I dreaded going back after a nice long, peaceful break. I love so much being at home, but this doesn't make me any money. It had been totally up in the air as to whether I would coach the Level 5 group again now that it is quite large or was I still "out". I was going to just let it ride until Monday. At last check,12 May, which was the last time I had a serious talk with my boss, she was not sure she wanted me back at Level 5 even though the group was now expanded to 17 girls. Infact my friend Brenda had told me that the boss called Lyla, the Level 8/9, coach to see if she should "help" with the 5 group instead since there were so few Level 8/9 girls left. What is this "help"? I don't know what that even meant! So was it now Jill and Lyla at Level 5 and I' m still out? Or do we need three coaches for that group? I was so afraid to ask. When I confronted the boss about the increased number of Level 5s on 12 May she said that she felt Jill and I did not work well together and that she would have to meet with us to discuss it. All this means is that Jill has been talking badly about me and wants to keep the group to herself. I did not want any meeting. I have coached there for over 7 years now and the boss always gives me good reviews. Then suddenly since about late September things are bad because of the division between me and Jill. That is all it really is. I do not want a meeting because again Jill will use this as a opportunity to take advantage of my shyness and "cooperation" as I buckle under to all she says. She knows I am not good in these situations and she is a very loud, bold talker and will dominate the meeting and make me look like a feeble little fool (AGAIN!)
Surprise, surprise! I guess I am working with the 5s again! It all came out in the usual back-handed way. About 5pm last Friday Sherry, the boss's assistant in the office, called me to tell me my junior group was running on Tuesday and Thursday, but their weren't enough kids for me to stay and teach Level 1 or Level 2. So she says "I guess you just have those hours and your stuff with Team". Sherry doesn't know anything about the Team stuff (except all the crap that I tell her). She could tell I was pissed off because I was kind of short with her and not joking around like I usually do. I asked to talk to Peggy, my boss. I don't know what ever possessed me to do that. I didn't have any index cards prepared on what exactly to say or any sharp and snappy responses to any of the trash she would say to me. Luckily she wasn't in the office so I asked Sherry to leave her a message simply stating "What hours do you want me to be there for Team starting Monday?"..........no names mentioned, no Levels mentioned etc. Peggy called me back in about ten minutes and was in a real laughy/chatty mood. She said she needed me to stay until 9pm with the 5s and then went right into rambling on about who will be at what Level and how many kids we had on Team now. Then I helped her update her roster ( 20 minutes!!) since she really has no idea what kids are where or who has really quit (she confused Morgan, a Level 6 who is staying with Shelby, a Level 7 who has quit!!). The conversation went on it's merry way with no mention of Jill or any of the insults or injuries incurred from that situation! I think she's on drugs...I really do. With all those people helping her in the office and the stacks and stacks of paperwork she keeps on all the kids and Team in general, she really has very little idea of what is actually going on. She told me we had 42 girls on Team until I "found" four more that she had forgotten. I couldn't wait to see what s**t Jill would stir up on Monday night, since she obviously "thinks we don't work well together" Well, nearly 24 hours has passed and all the wheels kept on rolling and the gym continued to run smoothly, according to Peggy who is still completely blind to everything that has gone on since September. Jill tossed me some terrible attitude. Pretty much the pre-teen "whatever" sort of thing every time I asked her opinion on the rotations, number of kids in the group, how will we divide them up, what skills we should focus on. She was really playing it up. I think she was bating me into being "bossy and possessive"....she had accused me of that before and that was her main reason for getting me dumped from the Level 5 group in January. I forced myself to be "Little Miss Sunshine" the entire evening. Everything was marvelous with the kids. Both my Level 4 and Level 5 groups worked very hard and I didn't have any problems. I am in such a pickle over what I should do about Jill's behaviour. Obviously she knows I just "let it slide" all of last season and she got exactly what she wanted. If I go to the boss about last night's little performance then I am the trouble-maker and the tattletale. OK, this is starting to sound so grammar school.
I only get in three days this week as I have found a sub for Thursday so I can be at home with my parents who will be visiting from New Jersey. We are off on Fridays in the Summer anyway. My mom and dad are coming on Thursday (12th) and staying through Father's Day. My dad prefers to spend Father's Day here away from my sister-in-law and all her overblown celebrations and her rather over bearing parents. She attempts these Martha Stewart-like extravaganzas that never seem to come out the way she planned. I think it's because she has been estranged from her own parents for several years. They are barely on speaking terms yet she continues to go through each holiday like an MGM movie production of the 1940's. Makes me think twice about complaining about the relationship I have with my parents.

Animals are all doing well, although the oppressive heat of the past few days is bothering them a bit. Alix has been doing quite well for over three weeks. No "attacks" of any kind and she seems to have a better appetite. A huge THANK YOU to the lovely Harmien who has told me about a powdered medicine given to older cats with kidney failure. It helps release the phosphates in their food so they get more nutrition out of what they eat. I talked to my Vet about it but it involves a blood test for Alix and I'm not sure I want to stress her out by dragging her to the vet for this. I know, it sounds like I am a terrible pet owner. I wish the Vet could come here to do the test. Even then, Alix is so freaked out by strangers. She seems quite happy now and I'm not sure if her past seizures would be effected by this medication. Harmien's cat, Gabber, is 21!
Hmm, the clouds are rolling in. Actually the shade is a nice break. It is 77 degrees F, rather then 93 as it was the past three days. Don't know if I can get in my walk with Bud before the downpour. Maybe a bit of sewing while these photos upload. Whew, did I throw enough information at you for one post?!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, what a delightful picture of your stitching and your doll! I love it! We really do have lots in common :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a reallu cute doll. All that stress at work and now with the parental units visit.... do well, stay clam, think of England !!!

    Happy thoughts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was enough information for one post! LOL!! I need a program to keep all the players straight. ;) I am very relieved that you've got your desired group back - that's just so great!

    And it's good news that Alix is doing well. Hooray! Fingers crossed.

    Loved the stitchy/crochet goodies at the beginning of the post, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, now that was a lot of information :) but I enjoyed all of it!

    Love "Jane" and both our finishes ... that cording is definately perfect!

    Glad it's working out with work .. hope it continues :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you that work seems to be settling down just a bit (let's hope it lasts, eh?!!).
    Love your finishes and your own Jane!!
    Glad Alix seems to be doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just love all the bright colours in these photos, very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my I love all your finishes ;)

    Doesn't stress at work just SUCK? I've learned (as I've aged) to just act stupid. I know that it sounds derogatory, but in the end...it just works. Now I never let anyone walk all over me and it sound like this Jill is trying to do that to you...just remember you can act "stupid" and being Little Miss Sunshine (which I also particpate in acting like when I'm at work) is great...but girlfriend, don't be a doormat...wipe your feet on Jill and remember...whatever goes around comes around. She'll get hers in the end some way, some how it always happens! Boy I sound like a real *B* don't I?! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have no advice about your gym situation. I sure can identify with it though. I have been in a similar situation.

    Have you been receiving e-mails from me? I have responded to several of your comments on my blog and now I look back and they say "noreply". Maybe you are not getting them. Thought I had your e-mail address, but not sure now. I know I have written several responses to your comments. If you are not getting them, then you probably think that I don't appreciate them and a snob.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Work politics stink! Sounds like things may be on their way of working out *hopefully*!

    Love your stitchy pics, that cording is perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love you stitching Jennifer!

    I hear you about the gym. I've been away from the gym for a year now - was getting lots of fresh air and walking training our young Golden Retriever, Darwin. I've recently returned to the gym because DH's knee injury and he asked me to join him while he works on his knee. It feels good, keep it up and I"ll be going with you in spirit! lol!

    Sorry to hear about the all that crap at work and the stress it brings. No doubt it will work itself out. Keep your head up and keep stitching my dear!

    Oh and for the photos: try reducing the amount of pixels of your pics. I use Photoshop to do that, but there are other programs that can do that as well. I find it helps with uploading them quickly, and for photos on internet or your blog, you don't need that many for them to be clear.

    hugs,
    heidi

    ReplyDelete