Friday, October 15, 2010

The Great Leap Forward

Not a reference to the impending time change (when is that anyway?); more a reference to my first venture into the world of professional gymnastics judging. This weekend I am off to Kent Sate University to volunteer at Judge's Cup. Of course this brings me a mix of excitement and anxiety. I have what could best be described as a love/hate relationship with travel. I dream of traveling all over the world, be it for gymnastics, to return to my ancestral homelands of Ireland and Italy, or to visit my numerous pen-pals and e-pals. Then comes the overwhelming anxiety of leaving my beloved animals behind. Joe is so good at taking care of them, but those two little cats can be unpredictable. Roy and Carmella have been with us nearly two years. Both are quite independent in their own way. Roy's latest escapade is to run across the street to the big barn. He spends hours over there, so it's not like he's playing in the street. It's just that nerve wracking few seconds and the random speeding cars that freak me out. Carmella has been known to travel pretty far too. Spotted her down near the neighbor's house at 9pm on my way home from the gym last Tuesday night. This constant worry really takes all the joy out of traveling. Yes, I am a very over-protective pet owner.
Anyway, my massive baking adventure is nearly complete. Judge's Cup is a 100% volunteer-run competition so all the food is brought in by the judges. I read over the list of usual suspects....hotdog/hamburger buns, bottles of soda, granola bars, plates, napkins, etc. Then I saw it, my speciality, BAKED GOODS. I am sure they meant something picked up at the local grocery store, but instead they are getting these: 64 Pumpkin Spice Mini Cupcakes. They now have orange-colored creamcheese frosting and a little candy corner atop each one. Also 5 dozen M&M cookies with the appropriate Fall colored M&Ms. It's been more and more difficult each season to find those "speciality" M&Ms. I find a lot of empty boxes on the shelves where they used to be. So in my usual style of over-compensation I bought three bags.
As if Judge's Cup isn't enough gymnastics for one weekend, October 16th also marks the start of the Artistic Gymnastics World Championships in Rotterdam Holland. I've been following the trainings on-line and have found some excellent photos here: http://couch-gymnast.blogspot.com/. Bridgid is a wonderful photographer and her sense of humor adds such a flair to an overly serious sport.
I wonder if there will be any time to work in a little knitting or cross-stitch this weekend? Probably not since I'm driving the carpool to Kent State...well, there's always next weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you have a great time at Kent State. Your cupcakes look yummy and I'm sure there won't be any leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck jennifer-you will do great. Hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy the traveling part more:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you & I have discussed in the past, I have some anxiety with traveling, too. I'm feeling very grateful that I can stick close to home for the most part nowadays. Good luck with your upcoming judge experience. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daylight savings time is November 7th at 2 am. So thats when you should change your clocks. I miss your cooking so much. I wish I could have one of those muffins. Food is now desirable again especially if I can smell it first! It makes me want it right then and now. Have fun judging!

    ReplyDelete