Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Good, The Bad, And The Hot Pink!

Finally finished the cross-stitch of gymnast Anastasia Grishina. It was a tight squeeze on fabric I cut too small. I've had a problem with that lately. Some sort of "math-block" thing. Instead of putting her in a frame, she'll become a pillow using this fabric as a border and backing.
A roller coaster ride of a week. The weather finally turned nice this weekend, but I've been such a wreck emotionally. Talked to my mother on Tuesday and after 20 minutes of discussing the weather, the garden and the malfunctioning washing machine she suddenly announces that she has just returned from a doctor visit and that she was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. I am devastated. She, on the other hand, is quite relieved. For about five years now she has struggled to knit, to write clearly and most recently to walk at a normal pace. She said she thought she had a brain tumor! Now for my mother to say such a thing is really out there. She is the rock of the family; never an outward emotion about her. So for five years she's been suffering silently thinking she had a brain tumor. I really don't know what to make of all this. Since a few days have passed I can now see her 'happiness' in receiving this diagnosis, rather then the horrible one she expected. I spoke to her Friday, after one full day of the medication, and she said she had written a check. OK, in the ordinary scheme of things this is not a big deal. But she had been foisting off that duty to my father in order to hide the fact that she could only print her signature, and quite poorly at that. This is a woman who grew up in the Catholic school penmanship tradition of the 1930's and 40's. She was also a teacher for 20+ years. So to sign her name rather then print it was a huge turning point. I am wondering if the drug could be that effective in one day, or maybe she is just more confident now in her own abilities. Any one out there with Parkinson's or a relative with this disease feel free to fill me in.

A few pet snaps to brighten a rather rambling and awkward post.

5 comments:

  1. That must've been sad for you :-( I'm so sorry. It's your blog, it's only normal for you to write down how you're feeling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stitching and fun kitty pics!
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's tough news to hear, Jennifer, I'm so sorry!!
    Yes, those sweet cats always bring a smile to my face, I hope they do the same for you!! Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, Jennifer, this is weird on so many levels. My mail just came in, so I'm reading blogs while reading my mail. I open an envelope I assume is from MaryKathryn because I have an order with her at the same time I open your blog. But the mail is from you! And then I read your mother's Parkinson's Disease announcement and my mouth fell open. My mom's doctor has just diagnosed her with Parkinson's (after first suspecting she'd suffered a stroke and the damage was permanent) and my mom also said after ONE day that the medicine had worked. I was a little abrupt with her, saying that's impossible and she must be imagining it because she wants it so badly. Anyway, I'm no expert on Parkinson's or the meds, but I wanted to let you know that my mom and your mom seem to be going on a similar journey at the moment. LMK if you want to talk - you have my email. Oh, and thank you VERY much for the surprise package in today's post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. I can imagine your shock at hearing such news.

    Love your sweet kitty pics. My smallest kitty is now venturing outdoors and I love to watch her stalk the bugs. But I keep a close eye on her. Don't want a hawk to take her away!

    ReplyDelete