Sunday, April 5, 2009

My BFF

Last night I went to my first Rhythmic Gymnastics competition. It is very different from the Artistic Gymnastics that I coach. The reason for the long journey north to Columbus was to meet up with my very best friend Anna, her husband Brian and daughter Nadia. Nadia, a very gifted young ballerina with the Washington(DC) Ballet, has now become a Rhythmic gymnast. Both Anna and I were Artistic gymnasts when we were younger and Nadia is named after the "One and Only"....Nadia Comaneci. I haven't seen this lovely family in nearly 12 years. Have you ever had a friend that no matter what happens, no matter how long it has been seen you've seen eachother you can pick up almost exactly where you left off the conversation over a decade ago? That is how it is with Anna and I. We can still read eachother's minds, finishe eachother's sentences. It's as if time stopped somewhere around 1977. A very enjoyable weekend indeed. After several weeks of sad times it was very liberating to be able to leave the house for an extended period of time without a huge anxiety attack.

I am so looking forward to Easter. I have really taken a liking to this holiday. It is not such of a "big deal" holiday in the United States. Nothing like the hype Halloween has become, or the over-commercialized disaster of Christmas. Maybe that's why I like it so much. The fact that I have the preceding Friday off also is a big thrill. Again, I don't know why I'm so into this. Maybe it is because I can feel the real Springtime weather coming and with it all the hope and renewal that brings. As you can see, Elliot is looking forward to it too.

I made the little Easter treat bags for my Junior group of gymnasts. I gave them out last Thursday, as many of the girls said they would not be here this week. There's another thing I am looking forward to. A smaller group of gymnasts all week long means more time to chat with them and to discuss the finer points of certain skills and movements. The hard training is good sometimes, but I think a good chat helps them a lot too. And, as many of you poor unfortunates know, I can chat on and on about gymnastics.

A bit of stitching going on too. Work continues on the quilt, with the help of Coal and Roy.

Try not to notice the basket of laundry being ignored in the background. I am still stitching on Prairie Schooler's "Welcome Spring". Should have them all done soon. Here's a new set of Valdani floss from eBay. This is the "Muddy Monet" collection.

I close this post with two lovely pet snaps. Roy and Carmella under the flowering Quince bush. They just love being outside. The chase every fly, leaf, blade of grass, moth. It's so funny to watch. They make some valiant attempts at stalking birds, but they are not too subtle. I hope your weekend was as enjoyable as mine.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer! Glad you enjoyed a nice weekend, and I'm delighted to hear that you reconnected with an old friend and found that it was as if no time at all had elapsed. That's a true sign of good friendship, isn't it? :)

    I'm also more into Easter than usual this year. It almost always coincides with Max's birthday, and of course his birthday takes precedence (as we don't attend church) but this year I'm looking forward to enjoying both!

    Love the kitty pictures! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jennifer,
    I had a smile all over my face as i read your blog today. It was a "happy picture of you and your friends. Seems you are having a good tuime at the gym.

    Love the pictures of the pets.Roy and Carmella are "elegant" cats, Carmella is a real beauty.
    take care,Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful that you were able to see your friend!!!

    Love the silks, so pretty! And can't wait to see your PS start :)

    ReplyDelete